Got yourself involved with a baseball fanatic, and don't get what is the big deal? Baseball is a great game, but let me help you figure out how to figure it out. I've been there, scratching my head and asking stupid questions. This is what I've learned along the way. --The Girlfriend

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Baseball is 4500 Miles and 2 1/2 Weeks Away



My Sister Turned Red Sox Fanatic is at spring training this year in Florida. She sends me messages like "Going to Game Six today! Super fun!"  and "We are sitting on the Green Monster today!"  and "Good thing I didn't forget my sunblock!" She is living a life of exclamation marks. I like that she includes me in the fun though I am still wearing gloves and hats, and warming up my car 4500 miles away.  I am almost tempted to open a beer and call her, rekindling an old tradition of the cocktail phone call. I asked her for a scouting report for the Boston Red Sox. They won the World Series last year but every year starts anew. I expect a thorough report. The Sox lost Jacoby Ellsbury this year and the Yankees found him.

My brother, who lives in Minnesota, was there, too, for a long weekend.  He and his lovely wife spent time at the game, soaking up sun and eating peanuts, and then they wisely headed to the beach. I can relate to him. We are "climate simpatico."  He sends me pictures like this:


I text him back,  "Go Twins."

Opening Day is so very close. For all the places in our country that had such a fierce winter this year, we know that winter isn't over yet.  But soon, my friends. Soon.

The Girlfriend's Guide to Baseball is back. I'll have that Scouting Report from the sister. The Softball Diva and Terminal Yankees Fan has already sent in her Scouting Report for the Yankees. I love her enthusiasm.   I discovered  The Drummer Dude who is a Detroit Tigers fan.  Hoping to hear from him about his thoughts for Motor City this year. I threw a crumb out to Steve, The Hopeless, Hopeful Cubbie’s Fan for the Chicago Cubs. I don't know. Maybe this is their year. I love his enthusiasm, too.

But for now, The Boyfriend is watching re-runs of baseball and a few spring training games and our back yard looks like my brother's backyard in Minnesota. We will get there soon. And Dreamy Guy Brian is writing a Seattle Mariners' report. Dare I hope for a stellar year? Talk to me.

I'm glad to be back. 

No comments: